Friday, May 20, 2016

Audio books = mind candy

I've been a fan of the audio book since the days when I'd run with a fanny pack and 2-3 cassette tapes from the library. Back then the book would be recorded on enough tapes that the case they came in was the size of an encyclopedia. (Do people use encyclopedias anymore?) I eventually switched from my walkman to my discman, and fortunately for me, so did the library as their cassette tape collection was slowly replaced by compact discs.

Since the introduction of the iPod and MP3, I've been able to ditch the fanny pack and carry an entire book on one, small little device. Once my iPod Shuffle, now my iPhone. Audio books are also the perfect way to keep your mind busy during long runs. Audio books are my mind candy and Audible my candy store.

Last year, during marathon training, I actually listened to an entire book on a solo 18-miler. Music is great, and has a big place in my life, but a book keeps your mind from wandering around mile 12, reminding you that you still have six long miles to go.…

I've always saved books for my longer runs, but the past two weeks I've been listening to The Beekeeper's Apprentice on these shorter HRT runs. It's hard enough to keep my heart rate and pace down, I don't need to bring inspiring music into the mix. Enter the audio book. Keeps you entertained, no pep in your step. (Unless you're listening to Born to Run, then all bets are off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment