Friday, May 13, 2016

How I'm tracking my heart rate

I was gifted an Apple Watch for my 40-th birthday last year. I used it to train for last year's marathon and completely retired my Garmin Forerunner 110. The Apple Watch does a great job of calculating distance and pace – those being the only two numbers I've ever cared about in the past. The watch has an internal heart rate monitor that uses the pulse on my wrist, but I'd read that it wasn't 100% accurate. Plus, it doesn't give you a constant reading, only testing every few minutes or so. To give #HRT 100% effort, I needed to find a way to have my heart rate on the watch face at all times.

After a little help from Google, I discovered that I could change the settings on my Apple Watch to pull the heart rate data from a Bluetooth heart rate strap. It took a day or two for my mind to put it all together, but I remembered that my treadmill came with a Polar H7 strap. I'd never used it, never caring about that data in the past. Bingo! Perfect combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment