Friday, June 24, 2016

Getting Stronger: RKS Kettlebell Workout

I've always added some type of strength-training into my workout week. I've done so many programs, it's almost embarrassing to list them all: Jillian Michaels, Sean T's T25, 21-Day Fix, and more. Even Tae Bo and Kathy Smith back in the day. (Those last two earned me some serious biceps before my wedding!) I've even built my own routines with free weights I've used since high school. Strong was important to me long before having children. Now, I love showing my girls how beautiful and functional strength is.

Back in April I ordered the RKS Kettlebell Workout from Amazon. I needed something new to add to my library. I was getting bored with the status quo. Now, let me warn you, RKS wasn't the best choice for workout excitement. It's boring. Really boring. One of the workouts is nothing but kettle bell swings for 20 minutes. But…and this is a BIG "but"…it works. I started out with two workouts per week, but once #HRT started, I switched to once a week. (Lately as the cross-training that follows my 130 "Engine Building" run on Tuesdays.) A few weeks in I noticed that I was getting shoulder definition. Then, my hamstrings were a bit more defined than they've ever been (my butt and legs would burn for a few days after a long workout.) Now, two months later, I have proof. Last weekend, my husband asked me to help him take the hardtop off of our Jeep. I've never been much help with this in the past, but no one else was around. Guess who lifted her half without an issue? This girl. First time ever.

I have three more weeks before I've gone through the 16 workout program. I've already decided to start the system over again, this time with a 20-lb kettle bell instead of the 12 and 15-lb bells I was using. If you're looking for an effective workout that you can incorporate into your running, boring as it may be, I highly recommend this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment