Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Week 4 Recap

55˚ morning = happy!
Notes for the week:

1. My coach has most of the runs on my marathon training plan listed as time vs. distance. I am 100% enjoying this change. As in…loving it. My calendar says "45 minutes" and I'm learning to enjoy those 45 minutes, no matter how far I go. (Lately…around 3.5 miles.)

2. One month into #HRT and my resting heart rate has gone from an average of 69 BPM to 62 BPM. Something is happening!

3. Reading the July issue of Runner's World, I came upon this statement: Easy running reduces the impact on your body and staves off fatigue, enabling you to log more miles with less risk of injury. What's more, it actually prepares you better for the distance. When you run a marathon, most of your body's fuel comes from your aerobic system – your hardworking muscles need oxygen-rich blood to power each contraction. Your body adapts to easy miles by strengthening your heart, sprouting more capillaries to infuse oxygen into muscles, and building more mitochondria, the factories within cells that produce energy. "You're getting the foundation, all of the horsepower, then later, when you want to go fast, you've got a bigger engine."

The numbers: Fastest Easy Effort 30 minutes last week was at a 12:43. This week, my "speediest' 30 minute run was a 12:16. I think I might be slowly building that engine!

No comments:

Post a Comment